Ordering custom fit boots online and getting something that fits can be a tricky process. We’ve been doing this for years and have successfully refined the process to ensure a good fitting boot. In this piece we explore reasons someone would order a pair of custom leather boots and some of the challenges of ordering them online.
There are several reasons to have a custom leather boot made for you. Let’s start off with the practical ones:
- If you like tall boots but can’t find boots that fit your athletic calves.
- Your foot varies by ½ size or more from each forcing you to wear only one properly fitting footwear, or both subtly wrong.
- Feet are too wide or narrow. In more extreme cases you might have bunions in your foot and need a specific part of the boot to be a bit wider in that area.
- You want to choose specific design customizations such as leather color, zipper location, and buckles or lack there of
If you have problems with any of these, you’ve come to the right place!
Additional benefits to Custom Handmade Leather Boots
Beyond the ability to make the boots to a custom measurement you’ll be happy with your choice for several other reasons:
- Our boots are 100% handmade out of full grain leather (minus the thin rubber lining on the bottom and the buckles) using the Goodyear welt method. What does this mean for you as someone who has a difficult time fitting into shoes? It means that after a few hours of wearing the boot the leather sole will begin molding to your foot. That you have a bit more leeway in finding good fitting footwear when wearing leather opposed to other materials as it really ends up shaping to your foot.
- For those who like a good leather boot with a custom look have a good reason to consider our product as well. With over a dozen different leather colors to choose from you can mix and match to fit what you’re looking for. Want a taller shaft? Don’t like the buckle or strap? Or maybe you want to add some? In any case, we’re happy to accommodate your requests. For example, one customer asked for an interior pocket in the inner lining of her tall leather boots. Great idea!
Important things to consider when ordering a custom boot
The instructions tell you how you need to measure your calf. Please measure to the 16th of an inch or mm. A 1/8 of an inch can make a difference between a good fitting boot and an OK fitting boot. The more precise the better.
When measuring your calf please measure the largest circumference of your calf. Then measure from the bottom of your heel to where you took this measurement. This will tell us at what point the boot needs to have this certain circumference.
Measure the circumference just above your ankle so we have a starting point for creating the shaft circumference. Please keep in mind that if the widest part of your calf is say, 10 inches above your heel and you want a shaft length of 17 inches, then the boot at the top will be roomy. We cannot change the slope/ angle of the shaft midway through the boot. In order for it to fit at the ankle and largest part of your calf we need to create a slope that will carry out throughout the entire boot. If you have big calves, we recommend you only stray a few inches above the widest part of your calf.
DO NOT add space to your measurement. We will add that so at minimum a pair of pants can fit in the shaft as well.
We are able to create many different designs to your liking. What is difficult is to match is the hardware. Also, we do not promise perfection. Different techniques are used for different boots. We attempt to make them as similar as possible.
We do not offer the boot without a heel or a shorter heel. This makes the boot unwearable due to the arc of the boot. We do offer between 0.5-2.0 inches upwon request.
Turnover for the boots is roughly 1-2 weeks, then we ship them via DHL international express service from Guatemala which takes 3-7 days to anywhere in the world. It is possible that your boots take longer to make depending on order volume. In the case you need them by a certain time, please bring this to our attention so we can either expedite the order or inform you that it is not possible.
A common question we get is “what happens if they don’t fit? Do I get a refund?” While this doesn’t happen often, less than 5% of the time, we happily offer to make you another pair if it can be demonstrated by an image that we made an error. The reason we do not accept returns is because it is a custom item and it makes it nearly impossible for us to sell.